Proudly serving Tulsa
Pileus Technologies is your trusted local provider of ransomware prevention solutions and services for businesses in the Tulsa, KS area. An attack can happen at any time. So, now is a good time for you to enlist the help of our IT professionals to complete a security check and a ransomware prevention program. We will put safeguards in place to ensure your company and data are protected from ransomware attacks. Contact us today to speak to ransomware prevention consultant.
Preventing Ransomware Attacks
Ransomware is nasty, getting worse and not going away soon. In fact, these are key takeaways from a recent cyber insurance claims report:
- Ransomware is becoming complex. The number of incidents increased by 47% from Q1 to Q2, 2020.
- Ransom demands rose 100% from 2019 to Q1 2020 and another 50% in Q2. Claims now range from $1,000 to $2,000,000 per incident.
- Healthcare and finance are prime targets, but no one is safe. Small organizations are also at risk.
Know how a ransomware attack happens to be best prepared
Ransomware attacks are not just random events. They target specific companies. When a business falls victim to a ransomware attack, a criminal has already done research on the organization and found weaknesses. They then abuse those weaknesses and force the company to send them money. And they will not go away quietly!
Once cybercriminals pick their target, they usually launch an "advanced persistent threat." They will send multiple attacks using advanced tools, often over days or weeks. They will search various parts of your business and test any weaknesses they find.
If they see an opening, they will use a blend of ransomware to enter your network and plant "bots" wherever they can. Then they probe undetected while they look for the best data to steal.
An important takeaway: You and your IT department may be unaware you are a target until an attack is underway.
You may only know for sure when you get an email demanding a ransom. The intruder will send proof they have entered your network, downloaded a copy of your data, and encrypted your original data (if it still exists).
How do you remove ransomware from your system?
By the time you discover you have ransomware, you have only a few choices:
- Fix the problem. Isolate the infected systems from your network. Do not shut them down. Have an IT security expert find the issues, correct them, and remove all the ransomware parts. Restart your systems and restore your data from a clean backup copy.
- Pay the ransom. Even if you pay though, the crooks still may not unlock your data. They could just sell it on the dark web.
Ransomware prevention is key.
A good prevention program has many parts. These practices are not only good for security hygiene, but they also enhance your IT network’s performance, reliability, and resilience.
Benefit from having one of our security experts help develop the right ransomware prevention program for your company.
Here are the main parts of a prevention program:
- Find and assess risks: Evaluate each system component. Create a baseline for each device, system, and software on your network.
- Retire outdated devices: Upgrade any end-of-life systems or obsolete software that cannot cope with today's environment.
- Patch and upgrade: Ensure all devices have the latest operating software, current security versions and virus definitions.
- Enhance training and awareness: Many ransomware and security breaches start with an employee's mistake. They may click a link in an email or give access to the wrong person. Employee training must be an ongoing program, not just once or twice a year.
- Perform backups: Ensure your systems and data protections back up your data often. Backups are critical for restoring your data if a breach does occur.
- Enact business continuity and disaster recovery plans: Investing in a good continuity plan will help you prepare for unexpected events. It is crucial to lessen a breach’s impact and reduce recovery time.
- Plan for incident response: Despite all your efforts, you only have to get it wrong one time. Have a tested method to detect, respond and recover from a problem quickly.
- Test and practice: These include penetration tests and social engineering exercises. You need to maintain a steady program to verify that your protections are working and to keep your team alert for potential new threats.
Need help with ransomware prevention? Pileus Technologies can help.
Our security experts can help with emergency recovery and craft a multilayered defense against future problems.
Turn to Pileus Technologies for IT security services in the Tulsa, KS area. Contact us today for unmatched excellence in IT support and assurance that your systems are efficient and secure.